Tuesday, September 11, 2012

In The Home Stretch...

After almost a week of no communication, I finally heard from Scarecrow.  He called from Stehekin, Washington on Sunday night with nothing but excellent news.  The trails are clear, the weather is beautiful, and he is now only 90 miles away from the "finish line" in Canada.  He expects to complete these 90 miles by Friday afternoon.  He said the landscape he is witnessing is breathtaking and the pictures he took do not do justice to their true beauty.  I am anxious to get a hold of his camera to check out the final pictures of this extraordinary journey.  He explained how he had to buy a calling card and use a "satellite phone" because he is really in the middle of nowhere over in the Northern Cascade Mountains ~ good thing I picked up, because I wasn't going to being that I did not recognize the number.

His plan is to average 20 mile days, give or take a few, and soak in the feelings of accomplishing his dream as he approaches the last days and miles of the United States and Canada that will complete his Pacific Crest Trail experience.

I will not hear from Teddy until after he reaches the monument in Canada and then walks another 8 miles to Manning Park, which is where he will be able to finally see civilization again after being in the woods.  So for the next few days, I hope you will join me in sending Teddy prayers, positive energy, and support as he approaches the end of this emotionally taxing, physically exhausting, spiritually fulfilling, wonderfully exciting and rewarding experience that he has been on over the past year and a half.

We, as a family, have been through something so extraordinary ~ a forever life changing experience that we will cherish and grow from for the rest of our lives.  So many people have asked: how do you handle all of this?  Why were you okay with this?  My answer will always be the same...  I am so proud to be a supporter  and an integral part in helping someone I love achieve their dreams.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  Who am I to say that it is not a realistic goal?  Obviously it is.  Who am I to say that Teddy should not go and live out his dreams?  I am happy I did.  Who am I to say it's not good for my children?  It was a wonderful lesson that they are proud of living through.  Who am I to say?  I am the Thruhiker's Wife.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  To watch it all unfold and hear the determination and enjoyment in his voice whenever he called was such a rewarding experience.  I feel honored to have been able to provide strength, support and love for my husband.  To be able to lead by example for my children ~ to help them learn what it feels like to support someone while they live out their dreams and achieve their goals.  My children learned what compromise and sacrifice were, but in a positive light.  Dakota and Jagger both know that they are a big part of Teddy's success.  As do I.  This experience was a huge life lesson on many different levels that I feel lucky to have learned from.

Personally, I wish everyone could feel and experience all of the positivity that my family felt through this journey.  Surround yourself with the ones you love, make a decision to be happy, live your life, create dreams and goals, and then go out there and accomplish them!!

Until he checks in from the finish line,

The Thruhiker's Wife

2 comments:

  1. Carole what a wonderful entry!!! It has been an amazing journey to follow, thank you for sharing it with us!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! The love, strength, support, endurance of all the Warrens has been remarkable and amazing! Thank you all for letting all of us be a part of Teddy's dream! It was awesome, sometimes a little nerve-wracking! We're so happy he went back to finish the trail after making the painful, but wise choice to wait for better conditions! Awesome feat! Congratulations, Teddy! & Carole, & Dakota & Jagger. Love you guys! Rita

    ReplyDelete