Sunday, June 1, 2014

Next Up? Flip Flops

photo credit: the Real Hiking Viking
Let me introduce you to Jabba - one of the Warrior Hikers who Scarecrow is traveling with.  I want to thank him for the pictures I "stole" from his Facebook page to share with Scarecrow's family and friends. I hope you don't mind, but there are several of your pictures in this post. You guys look great.
So, after the hikers returned to Chama because of the impassable trail conditions, they met up with amazing trail angels named Blake and Leslie Holleman.  A man named David Lopez, who is the Warrior Hike contact person put the hikers in contact with Blake, who is himself a 20 year Army Vet.  Thank you for your service, as well as your generosity and kindness towards all of the hikers, which include my husband who you know as Scarecrow. He has said you both are wonderful, generous people who have been instrumental in helping these hikers move along to plan B - flip flopping up the trail to Wyoming where the conditions are less treacherous at the moment.  If I understand correctly, Blake and Leslie live in Pagosa Springs, which is where the hikers were supposed to walk to, but because of too much snow, they had met up with Paul, who kindly gave his time and generosity while the hikers were in Cumbres Pass, and then drove them to Pagosa Springs.

I am thinking this is the ride from Paul to Pagosa Springs ?
THANK YOU again, Paul, for your kindness and trail magic. While in Pagosa Springs, the hikers had to recalculate their route and plan of attack.  They stayed with Blake and Leslie, and I am sure Scarecrow was ECSTATIC because it was here that he got to enjoy the Rangers hockey game when they won the Eastern Conference Trophy.

The hikers stayed with these trail angels for a day or two, I think, and then headed to the Pagosa Hot Springs Resort for one more day of rest before traveling North to begin a new leg of their journey.

As I mentioned earlier in a post, the maps Scarecrow is using, lists alternate plans for hikers when weather is stopping them from continuing on their route.  The hikers decided to take one particular route that would involve them driving up to Wyoming and hiking Southbound to another point on the trail. Eventually, they will return to where they exited the trail and hike that part at a later date, when some of the snow has melted. As of Sunday evening, the hikers were renting a car and driving to a town further up North in Colorado to Theresa Martinez' home.  If you recall, she was introduced to you back in my post titled, "Hiker Friends".  She is heavily involved with the CDTC (Continental Divide Trail Coalition) and has been very helpful in keeping these thruhikers on track.  From Theresa's house, which I got word they arrived safely to this evening, they will depart tomorrow morning and drive 6+ hours up to Wyoming and pick up the trail first thing Tuesday morning.
via google images

So, although flip flops are the furthest thing from Scarecrow's foot gear, there will be a lot of flip flopping along this trail to complete it, due to the weather conditions.  Scarecrow has promised to send more pictures once he arrives in Wyoming.  In the mean time, I am going to post several that I took from Jabba - you can check out his story HERE - I follow this blog now, as it gives me updates on Teddy even when he cannot call home.  Huge score for me!! Thank you Jabba.
photo credit: the Real Hiking Viking

photo credit: the Real Hiking Viking

photo credit: the Real Hiking Viking

photo credit: the Real Hiking Viking

I love these pics of you Scarecrow - it looks like you are traveling through some beautiful parts of this country.  I hope you are taking a lot of pictures.  Most importantly, you look safe and happy. I want leave you with this quote I found - it is exactly what we were talking about on the phone this evening :)

 Until next time,
The Thruhiker's Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment