Wednesday, November 2, 2011

It's Time to Come Home.

An expected call from Teddy this afternoon brought some unexpected news.  After hours of deliberating with himself, Teddy has decided to step off the Pacific Crest Trail and come home.  The decision he has made was a difficult one, but a necessary one.  Upon leaving Snoqualmie Pass, Teddy encountered nothing less than 12+ inches of snow, 20 degree weather, and fewer and fewer opportunities to thaw out before continuing his next day's mileage.  This hiking trip transformed from completing a thruhike to surviving the elements, which are getting progressively more dangerous with each passing hour.  In speaking with my family in Washington, they reported a severe winter storm heading into the Northern Cascades over the next 10 days, which is right where Teddy was headed.  So, in our emotional conversation, Teddy asked for my support in his decision to step off the trail and of course, he has it. He always had it.  After 2,476 miles hiked and 155 days away from his family and friends, Scarecrow is heading home.

Teddy was picked up at the Skykomish Post Office by Jerry and Andrea Dinsmore - Trail Angels on the PCT that are well-known in the hiker community.  Their website http://www.dinsmoreshikerhaven.com/ was sent by another trail angel named Alan Artman, a.k.a. Patchwork who has been in touch with me about assisting Scarecrow in any way he can, after meeting with him earlier in the trail.

I am currently awaiting a call back from Teddy on his next move - he will make his way back to my family in Washington and then fly home in the next day or two.  I want to express my deepest gratitude and appreciation to every single person that has been involved in this journey - I know and appreciate that Teddy (and I) will have your continued support through the next part of this bitter sweet journey.  We will keep you posted as things unfold - I know and love how much everyone is dedicated to and supporting Teddy's dream through reading this blog.

6 comments:

  1. I was inspired by Scarecrow, in the brief time I got to know him, and I'm proud of his journey, and wise decision to not over compromise his safety, when I read the part about him sliding down the mountain, and having to self arrest, made me scared, and he was able to get back up, and keep going! I hope he doesn't beat himself up to much over this, because his adventure encouraged me to keep hiking longer distances, and I'm sure he has inspired others! :DOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know hat Ted is disapointed that he has not finished the trail. But he has accomphised a great journery in his life that he will never forget !. Now is next journey is write a book of his adventures. Love to you Ted. And Carole ,Dakota and Jagger, your Teddy and , Daddy is coming home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2,476 miles!!!!! About 20 years ago I drove from my home in Utah to my new life in New York. That drive was 2,228 miles. You have surpassed my longest, cross-country driving distance... HIKING!!! Through desert and mountains! With snakes, mosquitoes, bears, evil plants, blisters and frozen boots! Scarecrow... We are so proud of all you have accomplished and know you WILL return to complete this hike at a time when your life is not on the line. We are thrilled that you are coming home SAFE AND SOUND! Looking forward to seeing your scruffy face!
    Carole... So proud of the way you've held down the fort for 5 MONTHS!! Ted is so lucky to have such a loving and supportive family. It has been a blessing for me to see your positive attitude and the strength of your family. Thank you for sharing your and Ted's excellent PCT adventure with the rest of us. I know it doesn't end here. Love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job, now Scare Crow, the trail will always be there and best you stay safe....besides, you walk to fast anyways! ha... Best of luck, if you come back out to finish, give us a shout out...who knows, we are always up for a bit of a walk.

    Besides, now you get to go home to a wife who loves you and two kids who adore you...and you lived to hike another day...win-win-win!

    Evil Goat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Evil Goat - Scarecrow is sitting next to me right now - he wanted me to tell you it was his pleasure and honor to hike with you and HOPES to hike wih you again. He understands that you and TOG might be hiking northbound from Ashland some time in the future - he would love to join you guys!!! We will continue to stay in touch. Thank you for your continued support and following of our blog.

    ReplyDelete