Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Departure Day...


via Google images
Happy Trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you, 'till we meet again.

Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Her's a happy one for you.
~Dale Evans Rogers

The day has finally arrived.  The day Scarecrow has been planning for and dreaming about since he stepped off the PCT.  Today, Scarecrow will begin his journey to becoming a Triple Crown Hiker.  He has spent months and up until even the last moments packing everything he will need, and now it is time. We will take him to MacArthur Airport for his 2:35 pm flight, and probably be an emotional wreck.  We are sad because we will miss Teddy while he is away, but that is definitely overtaken by the amount of pride, love, and support that we feel for him.


via Google images
His actual start on the trail will not begin until Thursday, as he has quite a bit of traveling to do to get to the trail head.  He leaves us at 2:35 pm and flies to Phoenix, Arizona.  He then boards an overnight Greyhound ride to Lordsburg, New Mexico.  For the duration of the day on the 16th, he will prepare his water supply, figure out how to use the GPS we finally downloaded everything onto, and acquaint himself with the rest of his equipment and hopefully meet people that are also starting the trail the next day.  I will post more about how that goes after I hear from him tomorrow.  I will also be posting the link daily that you can click on to see his progress right on the trail.  Cool, right?  Where is Scarecrow Now?

Anyone who knows me, knows that when I have sunglasses on inside, 95% of the time it means I am crying.  The other 5% is when I couldn't find my glasses and I needed to see ( I am blind without them) I tell you this, because I will probably spend the next few days in my sunglasses for obvious reasons. LOL.  So, as I am writing this, Teddy is flying around the house, packing up last minute things, reminding me not to drive too far with the kids with the doors off the jeep, because they may fall asleep and fall out of the car.  Really? That is what is on his mind?  I cannot wait to hear the other last minute advice he has...

Last minute pictures is what we do best, so here are a few of ours from today.  I attached a ladybug to the outside of his pack for a reminder I am always with him, supporting his efforts.  It wouldn't affect his pack weight too much, so I knew he wouldn't mind.  
 
all packed up and ready to go... 

And, for those of you who know me well,  I carry a glass ladybug in my pocket every day as a reminder to stay positive and count my blessings.  That little token has become a huge symbol of the gratitude I feel for my life and everything around me.  I passed my glass ladybug to Scarecrow to have on his journey.  He tucked it inside into a safe corner of his pack, happy to have it with him.  Thank you Scarecrow for going along with your wife's corny ways...




As nervous as he was, Teddy was equally as excited to get on his way to begin his trip.  We took a few shots outside, trying to hold back some tears that were beginning to form.  Some of us did better than others.



We left, and of course it had to be pouring rain, but made it to the airport for a great sendoff.  Teddy's mom, Cathy, came with us and my cousin Cathy met us there to wish him a final farewell.  We thank you both for your support.



The next obstacle was to make sure he could take his hiking stick with him on board.  The last trip for the PCT, the TSA guys were awesome and said Scarecrow could take his stick on board, instead of checking it with his backpack.  When we had arrived at security, they did not approve of the decision and I had to run back and check it.  THIS TIME, everyone was pleasant and understanding about Scarecrow taking his stick on board, and were impressed with his upcoming adventure.  We had some last minute hugs, kisses and yes, some more tears, and off he went.  He, his hiking stick and his dreams of becoming a triple crown thruhiker walked through security, and up the stairs.  He did turn around for one last minute wave goodbye.



Until next time,

The Thruhiker's Wife













No comments:

Post a Comment