Thursday, August 14, 2014

Trail Angels Are At It Again!!

I received an email a few days ago from a woman named Kris, who turned out to be yet another trail angel for Scarecrow.  Her email read:

Thruhiker's Wife,
I am hoping this email reaches you.  As my husband and I were out on a gold panning and gem hunt today we stopped in Muddy Gap, Wyoming for gas where I had asked the cashier for directions or a map to South Pass.  Scarecrow was there and told us of the incredible journey he is on and was headed in the same direction, so there we picked up our short time traveling companion.  For the next 110 or so miles to South Pass City we got to hear about his travels and about some of the places he has been on this journey and about some of the cool ppl he's met along the way.  He told us about your blog and I've enjoyed reading about the different stops he's made along the way.  I can't imagine how hard it would be to be away from my family for that long and I have a lot of respect for you and your family as I'm sure its a journey for all of you.  How joyful it must be when Scarecrow returns looking at how far he's come.  It was nice to meet him and read your blog.  Safe travels and best wishes.
Kris
via Google images/loopnet
Just the night before, Teddy called saying he had received a ride from Rawlins from a man named Mike, who dropped him off in Muddy Gap.  While in the convenience store he had been chatting with the cashier and explained his dilemma of needing to get a ride up to South Pass City.  So, when this couple had mentioned they were going that way, the cashier connected Scarecrow with them.  Scarecrow never did get the name of the cashier, but THANK YOU for passing along Scarecrow's information.

I wanted to post a picture of the convenience store, so that other hikers can utilize this helpful rest area along their journey.  I took a chance and decided to call there and see if I could get the name of the wonderful woman who helped Scarecrow with his ride that day.  I spoke with a delightful, helpful woman named Karla, who said she was not the one who helped Scarecrow, but the only other cashier, a woman named Kim, must have been the one.  THANK YOU BOTH for reaching out and helping these hikers as they make their way along this rigorous trail.  My wish is for all hikers to stop into your fine establishment and be able to receive the kind, generous hospitality that you have shown Scarecrow.  Check out 3 Forks Muddy Gap Services if you are in the area.  They are the BEST.

A HUGE THANK YOU also goes out to Kris, and her husband Nick, (thankfully Scarecrow got their names) for your kindness and generosity in giving Scarecrow a ride up to South Pass City.  He was dropped off at the trail head and is 100% connected with his footsteps now.  He will venture north along trail he has not seen yet.  Although he has a few hundred miles left in Wyoming, and just Montana to conquer, I feel like we are in the homestretch.

Click HERE to check out his progress on the map.

Waiting on another check-in for pictures from Scarecrow.

Until next time,
The Thruhiker's Wife

1 comment:

  1. Hwllo! I'm a future through hiker's longtime girlfriend. I need some tips on how to stay connected, how to get through, how to support him, any tips really! He leaves in 3 months and everytime I think about it it's like a rock in my stomach. Thanks for the blog!

    ReplyDelete