Friday, June 3, 2011

Departure Day...

The day arrived.  A day of anticipation.  Of happiness.  Of uncertainty.  Of excitement.  Of controlled chaos.  Of sadness.  Of saying goodbye to family and friends and hello to a long awaited adventure.  Ted has now packed and repacked his bag many times, making sure of every last item needed, and adjusting to lessen the 35+ pounds he will now need to carry for this hike.
arriving at the airport

Ted and the kids arrived to pick me up from work around 11:30, so we could make our way to the airport.  It was a bittersweet ride - I am so very proud of him for taking on such a huge challenge and having the confidence and determination to follow his dreams.  I am so excited for this journey to unfold for him.  The other part of me was really beginning to realize that we will not see him for 5 months.  I knew it in my head, but was now feeling it in my heart.  In case anyone was curious, the send off for the PCT (round 2) was no easier than the send off for the AT (round 1) was 10 years ago.  Just as emotional, filled with just as much pride.

Andy, Cathy, Carole, Teddy, Jagger, Dakota & Kenn
My brother Kenn, Ted's mom and her friend Andy met us at the airport to see Ted off.  It was funny to see the reactions of the people who were slowly finding out what Ted was about to do.  Things like Ted having to explain to the TSA why there was a huge knife in his pack, and that his hiking stick was not just a souvenir, but a necessity for the next 5 months, sparked curiosity among some of the staff.  All were supportive and amused.


Everyone who knows me knows I cry over moments like this.  I personally thought I would have a mini breakdown right in the airport watching my children say goodbye to their father.  It was one of the most beautiful, proudest  moments I have ever felt for my family.  Their ability to express their love, support, excitement and sadness all rolled up into one huge hug and kiss amazed me




Yes, there were tears, but mostly happy ones.  Tears of we are sad you are leaving, but we support your dreams. Tears of we won't get to see you or hug you, but we will think about you and pray for you every day.  Tears of we are going to miss you, but we love you so very much. 


The kids were so brave to put on their happiest faces to send Ted off.  They bought him last minute Snickers bars, gave some last big hugs and somehow, we were able to hold it all together and send Scarecrow on his way.

 I appreciate everyone's well-wishes and support over the past few months, as we prepared for this journey.  All of the texts, phone calls, blog comments, visits, hugs, and encouragement is what will make this nothing but a spectacular, positive experience for my family!!






Until next time,

The Thruhiker's Wife

3 comments:

  1. Ted is very blessed to have such a supportive and loving family. I admire your strength and positive attitude in holding down the fort while he is away. I'm sure this will be an adventure for you as well...
    P.S. Is there a story behind the walking stick? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Ted's journey begins, the blog's must continue! Keep us posted not only on Scarecrow's hiking adventures, but the life and times of the family that awaits his triumphant return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to start reading your blogs as he starts his adventure. I wish I could go too, but alas, I've got bills to pay and I'm in no shape to make such a journey. I'll keep him in my prayers and you keep us posted on his progress. Will you be able to post pics of his trip as well?

    ReplyDelete