Thursday, March 31, 2011

An ice axe? Really?

So, we are 62 days away from Ted's send off... He is actively planning out his journey, supplies, and when he will stop off and replenish his gourmet meals (dry packed tuna and ramen noodles - YUMMY) He has described how he will trek though the Mojave Desert and through many National parks, and climb several mountain ranges, including the highest mountain in the lower 48 states - Mt. Whitney.

He then throws into the coversation that he will need an ice axe.  An ice axe. I just got done imagining the torture of walking through the desert, and he throws in an ice axe.  So I visited my new best friend named Wikipedia and decided to dive in and really investigate just what the hell is going on here.

A cool fact that I am excited to share: Ted will hike to the top of a 14,505 foot mountain.  If it even remotely sounds exhausting, just wait til you see this video I found via google video.




A not so cool fact I am not excited to share: this is what came up when I asked if an ice axe was necessary on the PCT:

"Be prepared. Take your time. Plan for less miles and more calories in the snow.
Beware of sun exposure, hypo/hyperthermia, dehydration, snow blindness, and sunburn."

The more I research this journey my husband is about to embark on, the fun and excitement levels of "this sounds great, amazing and enjoyable" are creeping downward, and the exhausting and challenging thoughts of "he is out of his mind and crazy for wanting to take on this trek" are creeping upward.  But through it all, my pride and admiration is growing at an exponential rate for my husband.  I don't believe there are too many people that I know, or will ever meet in my lifetime that will consider this something fun to do.

But Teddy does.  Teddy thinks that this is fun, exciting, great, amazing, and everything in between.  I am truly happy for him.  Really.  And I am truly happy for me too.

After all, it isn't me that needs an ice axe.

2 comments:

  1. great post! I am jealous that he gets to use an ice axe, but would not want to be in his position. I have nothing but admiration for his determination and am jealous that he gets to follow a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does he need an ice axe in the summer? And now you know 2 people that think it's an exciting and fun trip. If I had the time, money, and I was in shape, I'd go with him. It's an adventure of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete