Monday, March 21, 2011

Why or Why Not??

So, of course, now that Teddy's plan is in motion to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, we are excited about it, and talk often about the adventure that is about to unfold.  We have even hung a map of the trail in our dining room, so we can easily track him while he is away.  I am trying to figure out how to attach a GPS chip to him, so I know he is not really in Fiji lounging with a Corona... LOL

Over the weekend, I was talking to a friend while I was getting my hair cut, and said, "Yeah, Teddy is leaving to walk from Mexico to Canada."  A complete stranger whips her head around and blurts, "Why?"  I explained to her that he likes to hike and this is a goal of his, so now is his time.  She looked just as confused as she did when I first announced it, so I just let it go and went back to chatting with my friend.

Later that day, I began to think of all the reasons why this was a good idea for Ted. He likes to hike.  He is fulfilling a dream.  He has the support of his family and friends. 

I then began to think of all the reasons why this was a good idea for me and the kids.  He likes to hike.  He is fulfilling a dream.  He has the support of his family and friends.  What better way to teach my children about reaching their goals, and fulfilling their dreams, then to lead by example. 

My children will see the excitement and determination in their father as he accomplishes this amazing feat.  They will see the support, love and respect in their mother for walking beside their father (not literally thank god!) as he accomplishes this amazing feat.  They will experience the trust, confidence, and pride as they see their father complete this journey, knowing they were a part of his success.  They will then be able to draw from that when they set out to achieve their own goals and dreams.

Instead of asking WHY, I would ask WHY NOT?

I love you Scarecrow

3 comments:

  1. They will also get to witness & learn from the strength of their mother while you go it alone w/out Dad at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Valerie - I see and feel this as only a positive experience - so hopefully the kids will see and feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME! and here I thought riding my bicycle to Montauk was some big feat. I hope that you'll somehow be able to post up some pics. Very Cool.

    ReplyDelete